How To Choose The Perfect Bridal Makeup Artist For Your Wedding?
Bridal Lehenga? Check. Jewellery? Check. Makeup? Help me!
Brides-to-be, we feel you. From buffing and contouring to kohl-lined eyes and glossy lips, the options are too many. And unless you’re a makeup enthusiast, these endless options might make your head spin. Similarly, entrusting your big day beauty to someone else, most often a stranger can give you jitters. But it doesn’t have to be that way. So, here is what you should know, do, and ask before hiring a bridal makeup artist in Chennai.
What Are The Different Types Of Bridal Makeup?
Achieving a flawless bridal beauty look starts with what kind of makeup you use. Here’s a quick guide of the different makeup options available in the market:
- Airbrush: It is a light-weight makeup applied using an air gun machine instead of other common applicators like a brush or sponge. It has gained popularity among the brides due to the flawless finish it produces. It is non-transferable and good for brides with oily skin. However, it is not fully waterproof. Also, it is irreversible. If there is a mistake, there is nothing much that can be done to blend it.
- High-definition: This technique uses ultra HD foundations to mimic the look of skin. Hence, it helps you to look perfect even when the HD cameras are focused on you. You can achieve an even texture with minimal product. It is also cheaper than airbrush makeup.
- Traditional: It is the most common type of makeup application technique. It refers to the use of liquid, cream, or powdered foundations that are applied with a brush, sponge or fingers. A brush is used to blend thicker layers, whereas fingertips may be enough for light applications. With traditional coverage products, a wide-colour spectrum is available. But if not applied properly, it may look and feel heavy.
How To Find Bridal Makeup Artists In Chennai?
Agreed, a good makeup artist can make or break your bridal look. But where do I look for them must be the million dollar question daunting most of the brides! Well, here are some ways to search and shortlist makeup artists in Chennai:
- Word of mouth – Ask, Ask, Ask. Nothing beats recommendations and referrals in the world of weddings. Your friends, cousins, colleagues etc who got recently married can be a good source. Also, a reference may possibly give you leverage while negotiating the price as the artist has previously worked with your friend or kin.
- Social Media – Check out for artists you are constantly supplying beauty doses on various social media platforms. Browse through their FB, Instagram etc. pages for recent work and reviews. Bookmark the ones you like.
- Wedding Blogs – Wedding and beauty blogs like BigFday provide a great deal of information on top vendors, trends, tips etc.
- BigFday’s wedding planning service – BigFday is also a great resource to connect with professional makeup artists in Chennai. Based on your requirements (budget, makeup artist preference) and the artist’s availability on your wedding day, they will do the groundwork and shortlist the vendors for you.
- Online: If you know no one who can recommend, you can search online and you will find plenty of options. However, be steer clear of shady sources. So even if you find the vendors online, try to familiarize with them through Instagram, FB etc. This way you can be sure about their competence.
How To Choose Your Bridal Makeup Artist In Chennai?
I’m writing this as an insider in the industry, to help walk all of you inquiring brides-to-be through the process and to make it as easy and stress-free as possible. Here are some tips that can help you choose the best one for your wedding.
- Knowledgeable: A true professional makeup artist has a keen eye for art. For them, a client’s face is like a blank canvas to create a beautiful masterpiece with each stroke of their brush. A professional artist will have theoretical and practical knowledge about face shape and colour analysis. They are also experienced in concealing the flaws in your skin if any. Look for artists whose knowledge and techniques you can use to highlight your best features. And if you are a kind who typically wears little to no makeup, then you need someone knowledgeable!
- Compatible: As you will be spending a lot of time with your makeup artist on your wedding day, look for someone with whom you click right away. Otherwise, it can be a miserable experience. The artist’s presence must be reassuring and comforting on your big day.
- Confident but not overconfident: A good makeup artist should listen to what you want rather than throwing a “know it all” attitude.
- Try it on: A makeup trial is a good way to judge if the makeup artist is a right fit and if the look you chose works for you. Also, you will know if the products suit your skin, time estimate etc. Based on the result, your makeup artist can suggest a look that blends with all the other elements.
- Matches your price range: Try to strike a balance between your budget and a truly professional artist. The likelihood of getting someone good and reliable at a throwaway price is extremely low.
How Much Does Bridal Makeup Packages Cost In Chennai?
The average traditional makeup package in Chennai is approximately Rs. 15,000. This typically includes makeup for one event, hairstyle and draping. Airbrush makeup can go up to Rs. 25,000. However, this is just an average estimate. The cost depends on the makeup artist and complexity of the bridal makeup and hairstyle you have chosen. Makeup trials cost extra and can be anywhere in the range of Rs. 2000 – 4000. However, some makeup artists tend to discount this amount if you decide to stick with them for your wedding day.
Hiring a right makeup artist will make sure you are ready to outshine on your big day. And we hope the above tips will help you find a superstar bridal makeup artist for your wedding.
Hassle-free and fun event planning is truly our passion! Our planning team won’t rest until we help you discover the perfect venue and host a memorable event. Enquire with us about venues with exclusive packages and top event professionals like photographers, decorators, makeup artists in Chennai etc.